A big reason why people find themselves gaining excess weight is not solely due to what they eat but the huge portion sizes and lack of portion control.
There are many things people can do to lose weight. Just remember this basic equation, calories in minus calories out should equal a deficit. What that means is you will need to be active enough to burn off the calories you eat and then some in order to lose weight.
We all know a pound equals 3500 calories so if you do the simple equation one would need to have at least a daily caloric deficit of 500 calories a day to meet that weekly target of losing a single pound a week. What has been unfortunate and perpetuated by many weight-loss companies is that eating certain macros make one overweight such as carbs or fat and that just isn’t true.
One of the major reasons behind being overweight is our portion sizes. We Americans eat and drink way too much at each meal setting. We supersize fast food meals and drinks, our plate sizes have grown two-fold from several decades ago and we eat out at restaurants much more frequently and portions are HUGE.
Many people think they can eyeball their plate to control their portion size and unfortunately many of us are unable to do it successfully. Some also were raised to believe that no space should be left on the plate as well as you clean your plate at every meal otherwise you won’t get dessert. This has been the cause for major overeating and weight gain.
Here are some tried and true tips you can do to help get your meal portions under control so you can get a better handle on your weight-loss and hit your goals.
- Eat on smaller plates –Simply put eat on smaller plates and bowls. When our eyes see a “full plate” it will send signals to our brain that our plate is full and that is all we should eat.
- Sip water before a meal – water helps with satiety and to curb thirst. If we sit down to any meal with something on our stomach first, most will tend to not overeat at that meal.
- Eat more frequently – life is busy, I get it but too many of us skip critical meals throughout the day so when we sit down to finally eat we are ravenous and pile up our plates to high heaven and begin to chow down. This isn’t the way to do it. It messes up our metabolism and causes us to overeat. Try to switch it up and eat 3 significant meals throughout the day with at least 2 snacks while sipping on your water throughout the day.
- Wear a belt – I know this sounds strange but this method can be effective. Basically before you sit down to eat, wear a belt a notch or 2 tighter than normal around your waist. Make sure you can breathe. As you eat your stomach size begins to increase and the belt will get tighter signaling to you to stop eating.
- Measure your food – if you really want to better manage the portion size of your food get a food scale and get very precise with your portions. This is the ultimate and is extremely effective. The EatSmart Precision Pro Digital scale is excellent for this. It has a small form factor and it can weight items up to 11 pounds.
Check out these additional features of this food scale:
- Eliminates the weight of the plate so it weighs just the food
- High resolution screen
- 3-minute auto turn off screen
- Easy to clean
- Comes with an EatSmart Calorie Factors book
- Priced just right – under $20
If you adopt some of these tips and apply them daily you will begin to see an improvement in your weight-loss efforts with a decreasing waistline and overall body fat loss. Try these methods consistently for at least a month and let me know how it worked out for you.
//SHOP THIS POST//
Order your own EatSmart Digital Precision Pro Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale and get 20% off your purchase with promo code FITCLUB20.