How to Make a HEALTHY Smoothie

How to make a healthy smoothie

I have been drinking smoothies for years (at least since 2005) and when I first started I really thought I knew what I was doing. I started running in 2005 and added morning smoothies with protein powder to top me off post-run and I sincerely thought I was on the right path.

See my plan was, run often and drink smoothies and in 12 months the weight will peel away. I drank smoothies every day faithfully and so you can imagine how shocked I was when I measured myself a year later and learned not only had I not LOST any weight, I actually gained weight and went up 1 dress size.

How could this be? I was running 3 miles a day on the treadmill faithfully and taking my runs outdoors every Saturday in the Summer. I was drinking my smoothies every morning going hog wild adding all sorts of fruit and berries such as blueberries, pineapples, grapes and such.

What I did not realize is that my smoothies were ticking time sugar bombs. See, I was making juice-based smoothies using my very favorite Orange, Peach and Mango juice as the base. Sorry to say I was sabotaging any gains I could have possibly been making with the cardio. See, I typically added 8 to 16 oz of this in there FIRST and then piled on more fruit and half a scoop of protein powder.

This IS healthy after all right? I mean, I was getting my daily recommended allowance of fruit wasn’t I?  Sure I was and going overboard on the SUGAR! Eight oz of this juice has a whopping 27 grams of SUGAR and if you double it, 54 grams (which is more than many soft drinks).

Watch my video where I share how I made the switch to creating healthier smoothies which has allowed me to stabilize my weight and give me additional much-needed energy (not from sugar). I also showcase some healthy add-ons I include to UP the nutrients factor.  Check it out.

How do you make your smoothies?  Are they ticking time sugar bombs?

10 Replies to "How to Make a HEALTHY Smoothie"

Deborah
    May 30, 2014 (7:41 am)

You’re right! I’ve always thought smoothies were big diet sabotage. Sugar is everywhere. Good tips
    Deborah recently posted…5 Essentials in My Gym BagMy Profile

karen May 30, 2014 (11:21 am)

great tips…I wish I could have smoothies int he morning, but it would wake our neighbor up in the morning in our duplex, and I don’t think she would like that, LOL. I would love starting my day with one. Wonder if I could keep it in the fridge at night.
    karen recently posted…Ready for the BeachMy Profile

May 30, 2014 (11:22 am)

Karen you can definitely make it the night before and put in fridge to keep cool. Delish.

jill conyers
    May 31, 2014 (3:07 am)

I drink a smoothie every day. They’re so easy to make nutrient dense and yummy!
    jill conyers recently posted…5 Things: Peace of Mind EditionMy Profile

May 31, 2014 (7:53 am)

I love them and now the hubby is into it. I need to convince the kids still though.

Mera May 31, 2014 (4:43 pm)

I don’t really worry about sugar content, I think it depends on the kind of diet you have. A low-fat, high carb diet really works perfectly for me, so my smoothies are usually entirely sugar. 🙂
    Mera recently posted…Ice cream for Health! When Vegan Kids Get Sick.My Profile

June 1, 2014 (12:08 am)

Sugar promotes and feeds disease.

• Meal Mondays: Panera Bread Green Passion Power Smoothie Review - Femme Fitale Fit Club ® Blog May 11, 2015 (12:01 am)

[…] year using the Peach, Mango and Orange juice as the base for my green smoothies but then I learned how to make a healthy green smoothie.  I had tried to take a peek at all the young lady behind the counter was putting in there but all […]

Ella Bella
    January 23, 2016 (1:46 pm)

Great info and demo! Definitely using the almond milk and leafy green base for all my future smoothie recipes!!