Guess what everybody? I think Winter is rearing its head early here in Maryland. We went from mild Fall temperatures to hawkish weather what seems to be like overnight. With such a drastic change in the seasons it can make someone want to go hibernate with the bears but not this fitnessista.
I am finding with the turning back of the clock and the early dark days I am becoming more motivated than ever to stay on track and active with my fitness. Perhaps it is because I totally blew it this Summer and Fall with consistency but nonetheless I am feeling very positive about the upcoming months.
If you are reading this and thinking “you are bananas, I don’t want to do much with the colder temperatures and dark days” let me share with you some of my tried and true tips for keeping it moving with the season change.
- Embrace the season. Meaning, accept the dark days and colder temperatures and using them to your advantage. Since it gets dark earlier, head to bed earlier so you can get a full night’s rest and wake up fresh, revived and ready for your fitness activity.
- Bring it in. If you just can’t bear the outdoors and lower temperatures then take your activity inside. There are a plethora of choices from classes at the gym to working out at home in the comfort of your own space. Whip out that challenging DVD and give it all you GOT!
- Do new. Change things up and do something you haven’t done before so you challenge yourself and keep with it until you have conquered it. Always wanted to do rock climbing? There are several places where they have indoor rock-climbing walls for you to try. Used to regular yoga? Perhaps try hot Bikram. The choices are endless – simply work on taking on a new activity and new challenge.
- Get wet. Yeah I said it. Head to the indoor heated pool with your activity. It may seem counterintuitive because who would want to go swimming as the temperature drops but swimming and pool activities are a great way to burn calories with cardio and it is easy on the joints. Sounds like a win-win to me. Oh let me not forget…the pools are heated so I am willing to bet you will almost feel like you are in the comfort of your covers but you are getting active. They are coming out with some pretty cool aqua aerobic and aqua spin classes so give it a try.
- Run Forest Run. Don’t let some dark mornings/evenings stop you from hitting that pavement. Make sure you are geared and lit up with reflective attire and run your little heart out. You will be surprised how quickly you warm up once you start moving. And hey – take the run up a notch, run a little faster and get some personal best times while you are running to heat up and for your health. Target® has some amazing running gear just for the purpose of keeping you warm, dry and comfortable during this season’s running.
There you have it my tried and true tips and suggestions for staying active with the season change. It may not be easy due to the longer dark days and chilly temps but if you stay focused on your goals the time will pass so quickly a new season change will be upon us to warmer weather.
What do you do to stay active during season changes?