I started my fitness journey back in 2005 and from that time to now I have hit peaks, valleys, stayed on track, fell off track and everything in between. I also made several mistakes and learned along the way.
Here are my top 5 mistakes that I have made on my fitness journey that I now work to avoid in order to stay on track.
- Eliminate or limit consumption of OJ – it has too much sugar. One 8 oz glass contains about 22 grams of sugar. Can you guess how many grams of sugar the average adult woman should consume in a day? Leave your answer in comments below if you know and I will share the answer later.
- Stop making calorie and sugar bomb smoothies – using juice as a base plus fruit high in sugar is a recipe for disaster when it comes to smoothies. I actually went up a dress size from drinking these types of smoothies daily for a year. YIKES!
- Change up your workout routine every 4 to 6 weeks – I used to run on the treadmill faithfully at 0 incline and 5 mph. After a while I stopped seeing results. Only until I incorporated intervals with the incline and changing up the speed did I begin to see changes again.
- Be mindful of what you eat – portion size and what you eat are very important. I used to run for 6 miles and then come home and drink beer, eat ice cream and eat high calorie meals in the restaurants. I was undoing any progress I could have been making with all of the calories I just consumed after burning calories from the run. I was working backwards. Stay on your healthy eating plan and don’t make every meal a cheat meal just because you work out.
- Have patience – give yourself time to see the change. You didn’t put on the lbs overnight and you won’t lose them overnight.
I share additional perspective on this topic in this video. Check it out.
I hope this information helps you avoid making the same mistakes I made. The journey isn’t easy and some days can be easier than others but don’t give up. Stay consistent, remain focused and one day you will look up and see your goals fully realized.