Today’s Friday Five has to do with our 5 Favorite Fitness Activities. If you have been tracking my blog you know I did a Friday 5 post about my favorite exercises so you will see some redundancy here but since this is also asking about our 5 fitness activities – I did expand my list a bit.
This link up is sponsored by Courtney from Eat Pray Run, DC, Cynthia from You Signed Up For What? and Mar from Mar on the Run! Their fitness and running blogs are amazing so make sure you head on over and check them out.
Now let’s get started. These are in no particular order because I believe in variety and enjoy a bunch of different kinds of fitness activities.
1. Group Running – I started running regularly in 2005 and have not looked back. I enjoy running alone but truth be told – I enjoy it better with at least 1 other person. I’m a group runner type of gal and the more people involved the more fun it is for me. I never knew I would enjoy group runs as much as I do.
2. Boot Camp – I started working out with the Sanders Optimum Fitness program back in the late summer of 2012 and have not looked back. I have not been so challenged in all of my fitness life. They keep things changed up so your body never gets used to any particular program. And the people – can’t say enough. The staff is great and the participants are becoming like second family to me. We have also hung out outside of boot camp. It is so nice to see everyone cleaned up looking so fresh and so clean with makeup and hair done because as you can imagine – we all look like we just rolled out of bed when we get together for workouts at 5:30 am.
3. Jumping rope – I started jumping rope for fitness about 3 years ago after reading some articles about how good it is for cardiovascular health. When I first picked up the rope my heart rate jumped to 176 after only 1 minute of speed rope. Let me tell you – don’t sleep on this form of activity. It really gets the heart rate up. If I do it I typically jump 20 minutes at a time and change up my foot work between front/back shuffle, high knees, in and outs and double unders. I love it. It is not just for the children.
4. Shoulder presses – I want developed shoulders. That remains my quest and one of the best ways to do this is with shoulder presses. I am up to pressing 15 lb weights at a time along with lunges so let me tell you – that will fatigue the old shoulders out. I also incorporate front and lateral raises standing, 45 degrees, etc. but shoulder presses are my tried and true exercise to further work on developing my shoulders. Why you ask? I get sick and tired of my bra strap falling down underneath my blouse while at work. UGH!
5. Push ups – I first began doing push ups in 1998 after watching a Janet Jacket Velvet Rope concert. Her body looked so good I knew I could not be almost 10 years younger than her and not be at LEAST as fit as her. Down on the floor I went and began with modified push ups and immediately felt stronger after 2 weeks and went standard. I have not been back to modified since.
There you have it. My five favorite fitness activities.