How To Walk To Lose Weight and Inches

How To Walk To Lose Weight and Inches

Disclaimer:  This post contains affiliate links and all products suggested are products I own, use and highly recommend.

Hey fitness family how is everyone doing today?  Today’s topic is an interesting one because I have heard loud and clear from many of you that for health reasons you were ordered by your doctor not to run.  That’s legitimate.  Many of our bodies and joints can’t take the pounding from running on hard surfaces like pavement or soft surfaces like a track or trail.

What’s left for many people as a viable option is walking.  I will admit – at first I didn’t think walking was valid cardio.  I know I know, I was being judgmental and in the early days of my fitness journey (about 10 years ago) I felt that if you don’t run, you won’t burn the fat or calories like talking about.

I am here to say I was wrong and I’m going to tell you how you can walk the weight and inches off of your body.  This is tried and true, my mom started walking and incorporating these tips and lost 20 pounds in a single month in her early 60’s.  If she can do it you can too.

Tip #1:  Walk with a purpose

Strolls are nice but if you are on a mission to lose weight then walk briskly and with a purpose.  Swing your arms and pick up the pace of your steps.  That will get your heart rate up and burn calories which is what you want to lose weight and inches.

Suggested equipment:  I recommend wearing a heart rate monitor, like the PolarFT4, while you walk to see where your heart rate is and to see if you are hitting your target heart rate based on your age and gender.

PolarFT4

Tip #2:  Speed it up

Try to walk as fast as you can during your walk.  My recommendation is 4 mph to 4.5 mph.  It is a challenging pace, sure to get your heart rate up and will rev up your metabolism for maximum calorie burn.  That’s good and that’s what you want.  Remember, if it doesn’t challenge you it doesn’t change you.

Tip #3:  Use intervals

Just like a car driving in the city stopping and starting burns more gas than a car driving on the interstate, your body burns calories the same way.  Intervals work like this, for a short period of time you walk with as much effort as you can muster, and then for another period of time you slow down and recover (you keep walking but not as fast).

You then continue these interval sets until your walk is done.  Your body will TORCH calories because all of the go fast, slow down, go fast will force your body to burn more energy = burn more calories = YOU LOSE WEIGHT.

Suggested equipment:  I recommend wearing an interval timer like a Gymboss Timer.  It can be clipped on to your clothing and set in intervals.  When an interval is up it can beep or vibrate so you know to perform the next interval.  I own one and it is great.

Gymboss Timer

Tip #4:  Hit the hills

Walking on flat ground or treadmill is a great way to start walking but once you have mastered your pace it is time to challenge yourself some more so I suggest you hit the hills.  Find a safe place outside or crank up the incline on your treadmill and walk it out.

You will immediately notice your heart rate go up and you know what else?  You will feel it in your hamstrings, quads and glutes.  YES, hitting inclines not only burns more calories in the same amount of time from walking on flat surfaces, it also tones the lower body area which is an awesome added bonus.

Tip #5:  Take your time

I know this sounds like in direct conflict with tip #1 but what I’m saying here is plan to walk at least 30 minutes at least 3 times a week to get the results you want.  If you want even quicker results, walk 60 minutes at least 3 times a week.  You can break those 60 minutes up into 2 – 30 minute sessions.  Here’s a beginner walking workout to get you started.  You can do this outside in safe surroundings or on a treadmill in your home or at the gym.

Walk Off The Fat in 30 Minutes

Download the workout here –> Walk Off The Fat in 30 Minutes

I must say, these 5 tips will get you started but if you are serious about losing weight and inches then these additional tips will get you there.

• Be consistent – walk at least 3 times a week to see and feel results consistently.
  • Stay hydrated – drink at least 64 ounces of water a day and even more if you are active to keep your body hydrated. Since water is 0 calories, you burn calories just digesting it.  Our infusion water bottles with drink tracker help you stay on track with your daily water intake. #WIN
  • Eat right – 70% of successful weight loss has to do with what you eat. Eat light healthy meals 6 times a day to keep that metabolism revved up and watch the fat and pounds melt away.  A great way to help curb your appetite so you aren’t reaching for the unhealthy stuff is tea.  I am drinking Pu-Erh by NakedMe Tea which is a fat burner.  So far so good.  While I eat 6 meals a day I am not eating as much at each meal because this helps curb my appetite yet gives me energy for my workouts.
  • Get enough sleep – your body repairs itself while you are sleeping and if you short it with low hours of sleep, it encourages your body to hold on to fat. Get your sleep on sleeping beauties.

If It Doesn't Challenge You It Won't Change You

Still not sure if you can stick with walking as a way to lose weight and inches?  Try these suggestions.

1. Walk with a friend – it will help to keep you accountable, consistent and encouraged.
  2. Listen to power music – something about certain high energy songs that just give you life and energy and will have you walking with a purpose.
  3. Measure yourself – I bet once you see the weight come down on the scale or the tape measurer numbers come in you will want to keep walking.

I hope this post has encouraged at least one person to try walking as a viable form of cardio to lose weight and inches.  If you decide to start walking as a result of reading this please leave a comment below and share.  I want to hear all about it.

If you want to see more articles like this on the blog, leave a comment and share which health or fitness topics you are struggling with and would like to see more information on here.  I want this space to be helpful for YOU.

In addition, if you need additional encouragement join my Facebook PRIVATE fitness group.  The ladies are encouraging, motivating, and it will be difficult to not want to get up and get moving being there because everyone is extremely supportive.  You can join us HERE and I will approve your request.

Do you use walking as a form of cardio?  Why or why not?

* indicates required

Email Format

30 Replies to "How To Walk To Lose Weight and Inches"

Carla November 23, 2015 (7:05 am)

I love love love love love this because – – brace yourself 🙂 – – walking is my jamb
    Carla recently posted…National Adoption MonthMy Profile

Kerri Olkjer
    December 2, 2015 (7:33 pm)

Such great tips. Especially to do it on purpose. I’ve done a lot more walking post baby. Ready to transition back to running!
    Kerri Olkjer recently posted…Outsmarting a Sedentary LifestyleMy Profile

December 2, 2015 (7:52 pm)

Intention and focus are what’s needed to really see the gains in whatever worked you do. Congrats on getting back to running.

Marcia
    December 2, 2015 (8:24 pm)

Walking is very valuable form of cardio! Like you said, the intensity and terrain can always be changed to make it more challenging as you progress.
    Marcia recently posted…How to Keep Spirits Bright During the Dark Season/GiveawayMy Profile

Ariana
    December 2, 2015 (8:31 pm)

This is great advice! Walking is such an underrated form of physical activity. It’s true that leisurely walks don’t do much for the fat-burning goals, but I have seen some AMAZING weight loss progress from individuals who walked regularly and watched what they ate.
    Ariana recently posted…Deadlift Your Way To Better GlutesMy Profile

Wendy December 2, 2015 (10:33 pm)

I’ve always used walking as cross training from when I was unable to run–due to injury or illness. I listen to my running playlist and I swear, it gives me the same mental boost as running. Almost.

I’ve been hearing about these “slim teas” from my patients. I feel like I need to do some research to learn more!
    Wendy recently posted…Why I won’t be #RWRunStreakingMy Profile

Deborah
    December 2, 2015 (10:34 pm)

Walking is a great way to lose weight and keep fit. Anything that gets you moving right?!
    Deborah recently posted…Gift Guide For The Healthy FoodieMy Profile

December 2, 2015 (10:35 pm)

My mom lost twenty pounds on a single month from walking.

Janelle
    December 3, 2015 (5:37 am)

This is really great advice. A lot of people don’t realize how walking is so good for your health! I’m glad that there’s a trend now that’s encouraging people to get out there!
    Janelle recently posted…Thanksgiving and Workout RecapMy Profile

Jessica
    December 3, 2015 (6:29 pm)

GREAT post and something I will also share with my clients. Love great walking workouts!
    Jessica recently posted…Healthy Turkey Leftover Recipes with Garlic Festival FoodsMy Profile

Becki S
    December 4, 2015 (9:06 am)

Love this post and love that you always promote meeting folks where they are at. So many health professionals want people to start their fitness journey running and that is often too much for people.
    Becki S recently posted…Fluffy Friday: The Life and Interests of Service DogsMy Profile

• Femme Fitale Fit Club ® BlogGetting Rid of Baby Weight without Going Through A Lot - Femme Fitale Fit Club ® Blog January 11, 2016 (3:14 pm)

[…] suggested by doctors) can really help you burn calories. Start off with mild physical activity like walking or jogging. Increase the intensity after that through swimming or going to a gym for treadmill. This […]

GiGi Eats
    February 12, 2016 (12:37 pm)

Walking is so under-rated but it’s probably one of the best and easiest ways to stay fit, EVER!!! Iknow for a fact, when I moved to LA… I gained like 5 pounds because I wasn’t walking as much, EVEN THOUGH I still work out for 2 hours a day!! 😮
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Fon-Doing With PlantFusionMy Profile

Stephany March 23, 2016 (9:35 am)

Tips are great hiking and to lose weight, I confess I already lost a few pounds following your blog … thanks

March 23, 2016 (9:43 am)

Did you??? Now that’s what I love to hear!!!! Thanks for reading.

Sebastian March 31, 2016 (12:35 am)

This is true and really effective. I shed off pounds during my teenage years through brisk walking with some stop and go daily for 3 consecutive months. Now, I’m inlove with fitness, specifically yoga
    Sebastian recently posted…Best Online Yoga Classes & Courses to Practice Yoga without Going to The GymMy Profile

Stephany Walker April 3, 2016 (3:46 pm)

Great article is true then I started walking, my weight began to decline and increasingly upped the pace, ie no use wanting to slim down and stay still it will not happen so I could then put into practice. great post Thanks

Twinkle May 3, 2016 (12:56 am)

Thanks for such goal oriented article. I have seen many diabetic patients keeping there health totally in control with walking

Lora June 18, 2016 (6:11 am)

Great.. Thanks for sharing thisGreat.. Thanks for sharing thisGreat.. Thanks for sharing thisGreat.. Thanks for sharing thisGreat.. Thanks for sharing this

Jennifer June 18, 2016 (6:14 am)

I love walking, its my favourite type of exercise. I love nothing more than taking my dog out in the morning.. Walking for fitness and weigh loss is really effective coupled with a careful diet. It’s the way I lost 3 stone before I got married!

Dabria June 26, 2016 (9:01 am)

I’m walking now because of you! Thank you soooo much

rfid hospital patient tracking December 8, 2016 (3:49 am)

Awesome. I love the tips and will sure use this on my business. Hope it works good. Thanks.

Albert Polesso March 12, 2017 (9:01 am)

I love walking every morning or evening, congratulations blog and shared tips.

rfid patient tracking Melbourne March 20, 2017 (2:57 am)

Business intelligence tools provided a unified view of operations for managers in order to identify opportunities for growth and efficiency.