HIIT Will Transform Your Body

Using HIIT To Transform Your Body

Fitness fads come and go, but this new fad called High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) might be here to stay.

HIIT uses a combination of quick intervals of intense exercise and short recovery periods to increase your heart rate, burn fat and work muscles in a short amount of time. In fact, HIIT is becoming the go-to training method for many professional fitness instructors. The allure lies in the ability to complete an entire workout in less than 20 minutes and burn fat. In fact, this type of training burns more fat than a regular 45 minute cardio session since it keeps your heart rate up and gives your metabolic rate a boost.

Mike Volkin, creator of HIIT the Game, now on Kickstarter states “HIIT is just fun, it’s a fun way to mix up any routine and it can be done by just about anyone, and anywhere.”

A study performed at Laval University in Canada used two groups of participants. One group followed a 15-week program using HIIT while the other group performed only steady-state cardio for 20 weeks. The steady-state cardio group actually burned 15,000 calories more than the HIIT group.  But, the HIIT group lost significantly more body fat. There are many scientific studies with similar results.

Aside from being quick and very effective at both burning fat and increasing metabolism, HIIT is appealing to many because no equipment is required. This training method uses bodyweight exercises so a workout can be done anywhere from a gym to a living room.

Another great aspect of high intensity interval training is variety. Everyone has complained that their workout routine gets boring and stale after a while, but with HIIT it doesn’t have to be that way. You can change things up and try something new every week if you want. Variety not only maintains enthusiasm during training but it will benefit the body immensely through a process called muscle confusion. Targeting a wide array of muscle groups and performing different exercises regularly is going produce results fast.

Lastly, even though HIIT workouts are short, usually 20 minutes, they actually improve endurance. HIIT works, if you’re skeptical, give it a try for a week and see how you feel, at the very least, it is a great plateau breaker of your current routine.

This article was authored by Michael Volkin, inventor of Strength Stack 52 bodyweight fitness cards and the all new HIIT the Game.

Michael Volkin has been a contributor to this blog for quite some time and his expertise on fitness and exercise is on point.  He has a new kickstarter program “HIIT The Game” that you can now back.  Head on over to the kickstarter site HERE and help support his new endeavor.

17 Replies to "HIIT Will Transform Your Body"

Deborah
    February 19, 2015 (7:15 am)

I’m curious to see how that game will go-fun idea. Hiit workouts are great.
    Deborah recently posted…Are you Over Training?My Profile

Pragati // Simple Medicine
    February 19, 2015 (9:30 am)

I have been incorporating HIIT into my workouts lately and I’ve never felt better. I love it!
    Pragati // Simple Medicine recently posted…3 Spices You Should Eat DailyMy Profile

February 19, 2015 (9:51 am)

It’s tough but you feel good.

Annmarie
    February 19, 2015 (3:25 pm)

Love HIIT workouts! They are so effective!
    Annmarie recently posted…Fit’n’Fashionable: Spring into Sports BrasMy Profile

Aimee
    February 19, 2015 (6:45 pm)

I used HIIT workouts when I was trying to lose the last bit of baby weight. I loved that I could get a super intense, effective workout in and then get on with my day. It really helped me shed fat & build muscle at the same time. 🙂
    Aimee recently posted…Cross Training: Core Exercises (and a Giveaway)My Profile

February 19, 2015 (8:01 pm)

Aimee it is very effective but you have to dig deep.

Kathryn
    February 19, 2015 (10:04 pm)

There are way too many trends and fitness fads circulating around, its just impossible to keep track of and be knowledgeable of all of them! I still don’t understand the difference between HITT and general speed work. What is it that I’m missing?
    Kathryn recently posted…Current CountdownsMy Profile

Joli Tripp
    February 20, 2015 (1:36 am)

My new Tabata class includes HIIT and it is going to kill me! But i love it (when it’s over).
    Joli Tripp recently posted…12 Tips to Get More Veggies in Your Diet…and Love Them!My Profile

Kelly
    February 21, 2015 (11:38 pm)

I’m a believer in HIIT!
    Kelly recently posted…This Week in Beauty, Fitness & Health: February 16-20, 2015My Profile

Victoria March 19, 2016 (9:03 am)

Great article. Sharing with my sister who is doing a HIIT 6-week challenge and loving it. Visiting from Saturday Sharefest.

Lorna Croswell March 25, 2016 (6:52 pm)

HIIT is so perfect for us active moms! You get a FANTASTIC workout in a short amount of time (like nap time) and can mix it up to keep it fun.

Brian DePersis November 29, 2016 (11:43 am)

I agree, and have posted on my own blog about HIIT. Old school working out from the 80’s is inefficient. I also use some HIIT principles with my students in PE.
    Brian DePersis recently posted…Race Report, Philadelphia Half Marathon by John AltieriMy Profile

Ana Clara Retic May 5, 2017 (2:09 pm)

The HIIT modality was the only one that really brought visible results to my body.
    I spent about 7 years overweight and even attending gyms 2 to 3 days a week my body remained the same.

I started to do HIIT and the first results were already noticed with 15 days of exercises, my measurements were already reducing and a lot, especially in the abdomén that was where I had a greater concentration of fats.

Super Highly recommend. HIIT is for anyone who really wants to toast it all!
    Ana Clara Retic recently posted…Sedentarismo – Acabe com esse mal.My Profile

Ana Maria August 3, 2017 (8:09 pm)

Is a great form of physical activity I started to have good results when I joined this training format, great article congratulations

3weekmiraclediet December 4, 2017 (2:59 am)

I am impressed with this HIIT and look forward for fun exercises to destroy body fats. My legs doesn’t give partnership with me , I feel so tired and down due to exercises and cycling. just treadmill for 10 minutes and I am done and down to bed, Help me ANA .