5 Tips To Stay Motivated On Your Fitness Journey

5 Tips to Stay Motivated On Your Fitness Journey thumbnail 2

I’m going to keep this post fairly short and sweet.  I want to let you know how I stay motivated to workout and give my all at all times.  Ok who am I kidding, there are many times where I do not want to get out of bed very early in the morning.  There are times when it is a struggle for me.

Here are some ways I stay motivated to get off my rump and raise that heart rate because in the end I know it is the best thing for me.  There may be some of you reading this who may be trying to just get started with a fitness program and need a way to get motivated to do that.

Let me start by saying, no one is or can do it for you.  You are not going to find motivation in others.  You are going to have to make up your mind and make it happen.  There I said it.

Motivation tip #1:  Get your mind right.  If you are out of shape and constantly complaining about it then make a change.  I notice when I change the way I think about something I am more self-motivated to make it happen.  Think about all of the benefits you will get out of working out and then do it.

Motivation tip #2:  Take baby steps.  You don’t have to go for the heavy weights day 1.  You don’t have to sprint at top speed day 1.  Go at your own pace but definitely keep the pace challenging so you are not just comfortable but getting better.

Motivation tip #3:  Set goals.  I will admit I do not set many fitness goals for myself such as fitting in a pair of size 2 jeans or wearing a bikini during next Summer’s vacation but I know overall I want to get better in every way.  When I do an exercise the next time, I want to do it stronger and feel better while doing it so I guess that is in some ways a goal.  But if you need something more than that, set a tangible goal and once you crush it, set another one.

Motivation tip #4:  Treat yourself.  Once you work out a certain number of days a week, set a nice reward for yourself (try to avoid food rewards).  Many people are motivated by tangible gifts and rewards besides the sense of accomplishment so treat yourself.  Go hard for the next 30 days and then treat yourself to a nice full-day spa treatment (complete with cucumber water and a nice salad).

Motivation tip #5:  Have fun.  As long as you don’t put too much pressure on yourself and participate in a fun activity, you should get and stay motivated to return to the activity.  Fitness comes in all shapes, sizes and colors so don’t get stuck with the traditional thought that you have to go to a typical gym or be on a treadmill for hours on end.  You can find fitness with many other activities such as bowling, soft ball, swimming, roller skating, etc.  The options are endless so get on out there, find something you enjoy and get started.

To summarize, to get and stay motivated about your fitness it is really up to YOU and you alone.  No one else can motivate to get started.  You have to be self-motivated.  There are things you can do to help with that such as get your mind right, take baby steps, set goals, treat yourself and most of all pick activities you find fun.

I hope this helps you so jump off the computer or your phone and get active!!!!

What motivates you along your fitness journey?

* indicates required

Email Format

44 Replies to "5 Tips To Stay Motivated On Your Fitness Journey"

Lara
    September 24, 2014 (6:10 am)

Awesome fitness tips. I think you are spot on! All of these are so important to remember. The “take baby steps” one is the one I need some work on. I am someone who expects instant gratification but this fitness journey I’m on is humbling me and teaching me that this isn’t the way. Thanks for the reminders #wowlinkup
    Lara recently posted…Fall Weekend – Running & ApplesMy Profile

AmyC
    September 24, 2014 (6:40 am)

I’m definitely a goal setter! It’s the best motivation for me 🙂
    AmyC recently posted…Workout Wednesday: Great Warm Ups for RunnersMy Profile

Janelle
    September 24, 2014 (6:51 am)

While the best motivation comes from within, I think spending time with other like-minded people who share similar fitness goals can be very encouraging. Having a fitness buddy can add some accountability. But you’re absolutely right, you have to want to do it for yourself! These are all great tips! #wowlinkup
    Janelle recently posted…Rock and Roll Philly 5K Race RecapMy Profile

September 24, 2014 (6:53 am)

Thanks Janelle. I agree, having buddies around help you stay encouraged and committed but if you haven’t made up your mind that you want it for yourself, no one can do that for you. Thanks for stopping by and congrats in your race this past weekend. I hear the Rock and Roll races are a lot of fun!!!

Tina Muir
    September 24, 2014 (7:33 am)

Love this Diatta! Especially the video 🙂 You are so enjoyable to listen to! I could not agree more with the getting your mind right. People think that celebrities are only fit because someone is yelling at them, well yes, that is true, BUT they are still alone at other times and can always find an excuse. Everyone has excuses, but only YOU can be strong enough to overcome them. I also love HAVE FUN! That one is critical!
    Tina Muir recently posted…Secrets to Success: Dynamic warm upMy Profile

September 24, 2014 (10:26 am)

Thanks for watching Tina. Hope the video wasn’t rushed-my kids were rushing me to go eat. Have fun is probably the biggest way to stay motivated. Thanks for watching.

Deborah
    September 24, 2014 (8:09 am)

All great tips! Love your videos and that great smiling face. It is all mental and you have to want it too!
    Deborah recently posted…Fitness Games App-May the odds be ever in your favorMy Profile

September 24, 2014 (10:25 am)

Awwww you are too sweet Deborah!! I smile so hard I know. Lol. One had I realize no one else is going to motivate them to work out, that comes from within.

Amanda H
    September 24, 2014 (3:32 pm)

Thanks for sharing these tips Diatta! I’ve been struggling with motivation and attitude lately, so I’m definitely trying to make a change with #1! #wowlinkup
    Amanda H recently posted…Finding Positive Fitness MotivationMy Profile

September 24, 2014 (4:00 pm)

Yessss Amanda. The body follows the mind. It happens to the best of us. It can be hard.

Deborah Davis
    September 24, 2014 (6:16 pm)

Hi Diatta,
    Staying motivated is unfortunately a very common problem so I thoroughly appreciated your 5 tips for staying motivated. Getting my mind right and setting goals are my most important aids to staying motivated.
    Deborah Davis recently posted…Live It Up at the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party Blog Hop #40My Profile

Catherine
    September 24, 2014 (7:42 pm)

These are all awesome tips! Loving your videos too. Great theme for the #wowlinkup this week and so honored to be in the spotlight 🙂
    Catherine recently posted…Indian Ground Chicken RecipeMy Profile

Markita
    September 24, 2014 (11:41 pm)

You are so right about getting your mind right…it’s basically unacceptable to feel down about your workouts, diet, and making changes. If you hate it, change what you’re doing or something about it and get that attitude right!
    Markita recently posted…Using competition to help you get you fit and lose weight – The Fitness GamesMy Profile

Nicole
    October 2, 2014 (12:31 am)

Hi Diatta! This is a great post! Love Tip #4! I think people sometimes forget to give themselves a pat on the back (or maybe a new sports bra!) for keeping on track! Thanks for linking up with us this week!
    Nicole recently posted…Planning For SuccessMy Profile

Jessica Joy
    October 7, 2014 (12:09 pm)

Diatta, I loved reading this, and I’m sorry I didn’t comment sooner! There is some great information in here, and I’m going to make my hubby read it, it’s just what he needs : ) He’s awesome, but his motivation is wavering. Right now, I’m trying to think of a great reward for myself. Ha. That spa day sounds divine, and will definitely take the salad with it! Take care. Thanks for linking up!
    Jessica Joy recently posted…What’s Your Weakest Link With Healthy Living, and How Will You Improve It This Week? The Fit Dish #4My Profile

Nika
    November 8, 2014 (9:00 pm)

These are great tips, I look forward to treating myself when I meet my fitness goals each week. I also stay motivated by looking at photos of my “fitspirations” they motivate me to stay the course.

#wowlinkup

Annmarie
    December 23, 2014 (9:01 am)

I think having fun is one of the most important things- if you aren’t enjoying it then it will be harder to stick to.
    Annmarie recently posted…Love Myself Organics Review + Giveaway!My Profile

Jen
    December 23, 2014 (9:49 am)

Great tips! I think taking baby steps is really important. People can’t go from nothing to working out 5 days a week. It’s unrealistic and likely won’t result in long term success.

Virginia
    December 23, 2014 (9:54 am)

I’ve found that setting goals is key for me. If I have something to work toward, I am more accountable to myself.
    Virginia recently posted…Yuletide Ice Cube FairMy Profile

Lynette December 23, 2014 (10:02 am)

I needed this today, have really lost my motivation, I will try some of these.

Stephanie
    December 23, 2014 (11:52 am)

One of the things that motivates me to stay on track is the approaching New Year! I like to end the year strong so that I am not in a panic in the New Year!
    Stephanie recently posted…The Last Minute DIY Gift GuideMy Profile

Ramona
    December 23, 2014 (2:13 pm)

Great tips. I love the first tip to “get your mind right.” So much of what we do involves mental processing. If we aren’t thinking correctly, we’ve already started out at a disadvantage. Getting your mind right is definitely the foundation and cornerstone of success.
    Ramona recently posted…Canvas Painting: a 2014 ProjectMy Profile

December 23, 2014 (2:30 pm)

It sure is Ramona. Mindset is extremely important.

Gabrielle
    December 23, 2014 (4:01 pm)

I can honestly say i struggle with treating myself.. smdh.. that’s so bad. I’m such an extremist. I’m either all in or nothing at all. I’ll find balance some day #BLMGIRLS

Emerald Lavender December 23, 2014 (4:08 pm)

These are great tips! I find myself off track quite often…lol! Thanks for the motivation! #BLMGirls
    Emerald Lavender recently posted…Christmas Gift Ideas For The Elegant LadyMy Profile

Kimberly
    December 23, 2014 (4:15 pm)

Diatta,

These are great tips I need to remember as I mentally prepare myself for 2015. Thanks #BLMGirls
    Kimberly recently posted…Hope For ChristmasMy Profile

JoAnna
    December 23, 2014 (4:32 pm)

Definitely needed to read this as I’m starting a new fitness journey. It’s always easy starting out, but sticking to it becomes difficult

December 23, 2014 (8:42 pm)

I think accountability partners help.

Angel Y.
    December 23, 2014 (4:40 pm)

This is an amazing post! Fitness is such a huge part of my life and staying on track can be difficult.
    Angel Y. recently posted…12DOC: Best of Studio 404 2014My Profile

December 23, 2014 (8:41 pm)

Thank you Angel – it isnt easy but you can do it.

NeoshaGEE
    December 23, 2014 (7:12 pm)

Loved this. I just had my first kid 5 months ago and needing some motivation to simply get rid of the excess fatty on my belly lol. This definitely got me ready for the new year!
    NeoshaGEE recently posted…2014 Holiday Gift Guide for Lifestyle Bloggers (and others too!)My Profile

December 23, 2014 (8:41 pm)

No worries it took me a year.

Dionne Dean
    December 23, 2014 (7:32 pm)

Baby steps always gets me. I want the weight gone and I want it gone NOW! LOL But it didn’t come on over night, so I’ll take it day by day. Thank you for this!

SistaTV
    December 23, 2014 (7:37 pm)

Let me just say that the first tip is a complete PREACH. If you take the time to get your MIND right before you attempt anything you will always be successful! These are great tips!! Thanks for sharing #blmgirls
    SistaTV recently posted…12,933 days of Eunice…My Profile

Bree December 23, 2014 (9:38 pm)

Step 3 is definitely important! I always get motivated when I have a goal in miand I have been going through a work out slump, but I’m going to just blame it on the holidays lol

Bree
    Quirkybrownlove.blogspot.com

onceuponamaritime December 23, 2014 (10:33 pm)

Being motivated is the hardest part, but surely after working hard for a while and seeing results you get so pumped!

Tiffani G from MyMommyVents
    December 24, 2014 (7:39 am)

These are some great (and definitely necessary) tips. I’m one of those people who will work out and then go eat cheesecake, so…yeah. #BLMGirls
    Tiffani G from MyMommyVents recently posted…Achieve Your Dreams in 2015 With A Vision BoardMy Profile

Stacie
    December 24, 2014 (11:29 am)

These are such great tips Diatta. I like the one about taking baby steps. That’s encouraging for someone like me. I’ll definitely use this as a resource for the New Year. Thanks Lady! #BLMgirls
    Stacie recently posted…Merry Christmas from Stacie Sayz So!My Profile

Bismah December 25, 2014 (12:19 am)

Wonderful tips! I do not have any set fitness routines at the moment. I have two young boys and they are enough to keep me motivated and in shape at least for the time being. I have pinned this for future reference!
    Bismah recently posted…12 Creative Uses For Cotton SwabsMy Profile

December 29, 2014 (6:55 am)

Little boys will definitely keep you on your toes.

Ivanna
    April 16, 2015 (11:31 am)

My own results keep me motivated when I see a change I my body and the way I feel, it keeps me going. Great Tips
    Ivanna recently posted…Change Your Life With Just One Date…Its Not What You Think!My Profile

• Femme Fitale Fit Club ® BlogWhy Fitness is Crucial to Overall Happiness - Femme Fitale Fit Club ® Blog April 6, 2016 (12:01 am)

[…] is so, so much more that fitness has to offer you, so many more reasons to start or maintain a fitness journey. In fact, fitness actually leads to happiness. Not a one that is derived from fitting into a […]