Don’t we all find burpees just fantabulous? I mean the more you do the more you want to do right? We absolutely love the feeling of your heart about to pound out of your chest while trying to catch your breath.
Of course I’m being facetious but you get my point. Burpees are my least favorite exercise for oh so many reasons like the ones I listed above. BUT and this is important – they are necessary.
Yes I grumble and groan about them but I will eventually do them because they are an excellent form of cardio exercise.
Check out this video by XHIT Daily which demonstrates how to properly execute burpees:
Benefits of Burpees (oh look another B word):
- They burn mega calories. Your heart is racing when you start and if you wear an HRM see how many you burn when you complete them. You will be amazed.
- They make you stronger. Push ups, hops all done sequentially over and over. You have no choice but to get stronger.
- No equipment needed. You can practically do this exercise anywhere. How is that for versatile?
- Great form of cardio. If cardio is needed and you don’t want to get on the treadmill or jump rope add these instead.
- They build endurance. More than anything you want to be able to build up your endurance because in the long run (no pun intended) that is how strong bodies are made.
They can be done with a hop at the end, with a push up in the middle and everything in between. Get creative.
Now test yourself – how many burpees can you complete in 30 seconds? Leave a comment with your burpee count from this test.